Prep/Cook Time: 3Hours
• 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1 large egg
• 1 cup milk
• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
• Vegetable oil for frying
• Powdered sugar for dusting
• In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, salt, yeast and nutmeg.
• In a small bowl, mix egg, milk and 3 tablespoons vegetable oil. Add all at once to the dry mix
• Using your hands or mixer, mix and knead to make a soft dough. Cover and let rest for about 10 minutes.
• Place the dough in a oil-greased bowl, cover and leave to rise until size is doubled. (About 2 hours)
• Turn risen dough onto a lightly floured flat surface.
• Gently roll into 1/4 thickness and cut out doughnuts with a round cutter. (We used round cups and made holes in the middle with bottled water covers)
• Leave the doughnuts to rise for another 20 minutes.
• To fry: Heat vegetable oil in frying pan.
• Fry the doughnuts in the oil until golden brown.
• Turn over and cook the second side. (About 1minute) on each side.
• Remove doughnuts from oil and drain on paper towels.