How To Prepare Oha Soup
Oha soup is native to the igbo people in the eastern part of Nigeria.Onlya few Nigerian soups can compete with this soup,I so much love this soup like kilode.It used to be one of my choice foods during my days in Enugu. While some people like using achi as thickner, i prefer using cocoyam as thickner when preparing oha soup. Today, i will be sharing oha soup recipe, if you can follow every step in this write-up, it’s just a matter of time you will become a pro in Oha soup production. Let’s get started.
Ingredients needed to make oha soup
Cray fish (as appropriate)
Beef (as appropriate )
cocoyam ( 5 corms is okay)
Ogiri (Known as Iru in Yoruba )
Onions and dry pepper (as appropriate)
Maggi and Salt.
Pre- cooking Step
1.Grind crayfish, dry pepper and set aside.
2. Dice the onions and set aside
3. Wash and boil the cocoyam corms without salt till it become soft, pill the skin off and pound in a mortar and set aside. Though some people use achi in the absence of cocoyam.
4.Pick the oha leaves , wash and cut the leaves and set aside.
Directions to Prepare the soup
1. Place a pot of water on the cooker, add the meat and the diced onion and cook till the meat become tender.
2 .Add cray fish, fish(smoked), palmoil,dry pepper,salt,maggi, Iru, crayfish and cook for few minutes.
3. Add the pounded cocoyam in big balls (4-5) and boil for another 5 minutes.
4. Finally, add your oha leaves and cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Your oha soup is ready, serve with solid food (Semo, Iyan, Eba,Pounded Yam, Fufu, Amala e.t.c)