Recipe: Unripe Plantain Porridge
Guess what we made at the Chop4Naija Kitchen the other day….yummy oil-free unripe plantain porridge!
It’s a shame how under-appreciated unripe/black plantains are, they make yummy meals too! You probably have a bunch lying somewhere in the kitchen waiting to ripen, wait no more…this recipe is for you.
These plantains are packed with fiber (aids weight loss) and lots of other vitamins (for better eyesight, skin, immunity against diseases). They are also low in carbohydrates (perfect for diabetic patients).
We skipped the usual palm-oil in porridge norm, let’s try something different! And there were no regrets, turned out lovey….
- 4 unripe plantains
- 1 dried fish
- 1 handful stock fish
- 1 handful dried shrimps
- 1 handful crayfish
- 1 bunch vegetable of your choice (we used spinach)
- 1 medium onion
- Pepper of your choice (we used chilli bullets)
- Salt and seasoning cubes to taste
- Wash and peel plantains
- Cut up into small chunks
- Properly wash and chop vegetables
- Soak dried fish in hot water then wash thoroughly, take out bones
- Rinse stock fish and dried shrimps
- Blend crayfish
- Chop up chilli bullets
- Chop onions into small pieces
- Boil plantain chunks with stock fish, onions, salt and seasoning cubes
- Once a little soft, throw in dried fish, crayfish and chilli then leave to cook for about 5mins
- Mash a few pieces of the plantain to thicken sauce till desired
- Add vegetables and dried shrimps, cover pot and leave to simmer for about 5mins
- Stir, turn off heat and leave to rest covered for another 5mins before serving.
Thanks for reading! We hope you would be trying this out soon and share pictures with us on Facebook and Instagram @chop4Naija.