Ugba (oil bean seed) is unique to the eastern people of Nigeria. it is a delicacy enjoyed at festivals,weddings and even funerals.We decided to put together the receipe for Ugba (African salad)….you should try it sometime.
- 2-3 dried stockfish (Okporoko, panla) pieces
- 1 cup Ugba
- 1 Tablespoon Ground dried pepper
- 2 tablespoon Crayfish
- Onion (1 Medium size) * chopped*
- 2 Seasoning cube (Maggi, Knorr,)
- ½ tspn Akanwu (Cooking potash)
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Ogiri (Fermented Locust beans)
- 2/3 cup Palm oil
- Utazzi leaf
- Soak the dried stock fish in water for 2-3 hours
- In a pot combine the already soaked fish, 3-4 cups of water, pepper, crayfish, seasoning cube and salt
- cover on medium heat. Cook for about 2 hours or until the fish is very tender. add more water if needed. Once cooked and very tender, take a wooden spoon and separate the fish into tiny little bits. Let it cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- Add the ugba, simmer for 10mins
- Add the akanwu next, let it dissolve, takes about 2-5 minutes. Add palm oil and ogiri. Reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and it’s ready!
Serve with chopped Utazzi and onions.